Saturday, December 29, 2012

A face in the crowd...

A  lot is being written about her and the whole incident. I did not want to just write something for the heck of it, but it is all so disturbing that I couldn't help but jot down what I am going through.
We as Indians boast a lot about our great culture and traditions but where do we see it? Only in weddings and family functions? How about showing culture on streets?

I am not saying that my father is a bad man but he from the typical male dominating era (which is still persistent). I have seen him insult my mom in front of her and his own family. Only when I grew up, started intervening and eventually got married he started understanding what he was doing wrong.
I feel that if  I had a brother or was a man myself I would have had the same kind of attitude towards my own wife because no matter how much we think India has moved forward, we have grown up seeing our mother's get disrespected every now and then and it has inadvertently got into our system.

I come from a small town and eve-teasing is very common there, nobody thinks of it as disrespect towards females and the men who are doing it are not from a previous generation but they are people I grew up with, went to school/college with and played with.

Instead of saying that the rapists should be castrated or hanged we should try and change the mindset of the people of our country.
When the Guwahati molestation case was beings talked about all day and night my own parents said that girls should not wear skimpy outfits and walk alone in the night. Which means that what the molesters did was justified? If a girl is going out alone at night or if she wants to wear a mini skirt she can be objectified? Istead of making such statements parents should put those values in their off-springs' minds that they keep boasting about all day.

This so called brave daughter of India was probably wearing what I wear everyday and was accompanied by her male friend. It was only 9:45 PM when she caught that unfortunate bus, she was not alone, it was not midnight and she was not probably dressed in her innerwear. We cannot blame her for what she went through. It was the shameless Indian men with unsupressable male libido that are to blame. Males who will only respect and protect women they have a blood relation with.

Don't blame Delhi, it is the country that is to blame.
For a long time now I haven't felt proud to be Indian.
India whose cultures is the oldest and greatest where King Ram doubter and abandoned his wife because his subjects wanted him to, where Dushasan tried to publicly undress Draupadi because she made fun of his brother at one time.

My heart breaks to see such things still happening after thousands of years.

No comments: